“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Tim. 3:16-17).
Ethel, Edwin and their three daughters might not be a whole family today, were it not for the Word of God being injected into their lives by caring FH staff.
Ethel used to be an active Health Promoter in her community of Nueva Jerusalem, at the foothills of Peru’s capital city. She spread messages of health and hygiene to her neighbors until withdrawing from her activities due to depression.
Edwin is a construction worker, and his alcohol consumption on the weekends often turned into drunkenness which led to verbal, physical and psychological abuse toward his wife and girls. When Ethel couldn’t take it anymore, she left, and her daughters reached out to FH staff for help (they knew of FH through the child-sponsorship program).
For eight months, psychologist Maria Ibanez from the Family Action Project led the family in therapy–first just with Ethel, then Ethel and Edwin together, then the daughters, and finally the family as a whole. Ethel reported happily, “Edwin has changed and says that he is in therapy now and that he doesn’t drink liquor anymore. He also said that when he is tempted to drink, he will control it.”
To share with them God’s design for the family, Maria used the Scriptures below, among others:
- “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” Genesis 1:27
- “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Proverbs 15:1
- “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”Ephesians 4:31-32
- “Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 2:3-5
- “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41: 10
- “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7
God used these words to restore this family and, today, the family is whole.
Edwin’s drinking is only very sporadic, and he no longer lashes out at his family. Ethel and Edwin now have tools for resolving conflict and are understanding the meaning of living in unity. Ethel accepted Christ during a prayer meeting, and she and her family are learning to pray together. She has returned to her post as a Health Promoter. The daughters also are thankful to be living in a more peaceful, stable home.
“My parents changed a lot, says Elizabeth, the oldest daughter. “They don’t fight anymore, and we are doing better now.”
Even the family’s neighbors noticed a change and have requested to join this program.
“Ethel now understands me better and is more tranquil, and I am also calm now,” says Edwin.